Today, prison abolitionist Mariame Kaba (@prisonculture) tweeted “I think it's fair to voice an anti-imperial and anti-militarism stance while upholding and defending trans people's humanity...”
Chelsea Manning (@xychelsea) also tweeted “today is further reason we should dismantle the bloated and dangerous military/intel/police state to fund healthcare for all”
We can be firmly against the military-industrial complex, and still be concerned about the future and well-being of our trans siblings. We can be completely anti-imperialist and still (be attentive to) and take the lead from trans folks on what their immediate needs for survival are. We can continue to educate ourselves on the bloated military budget and still fight for trans people to have access to healthcare right now. Rather than fighting to uphold and expand the military-industrial complex by focusing on defeating this ban, we can and should all double-down and join the fight for universal healthcare. Trans people’s humanity is not up for debate. A fight for universal healthcare is a fight for trans lives.
GetEQUAL will continue to fight for the lives, dignity and liberation of our queer & trans community, and we are committed to placing the needs of and leadership to those who are most harmed by state violence. Please join us in taking these few small steps to fight for trans lives today.
- The Military is an Imperialist Tool, But the Ban on Trans Folks is Dehumanizing as Fuck via L’lerret Jazelle Ailith
- Transgender Activists Speak Out Against Campaign to End Trans Military Ban via Truthout / Toshio Meronek
- To the cis Person angrily sharing news of the Trump transgender military ban via Medium by Angela Dumlao
- Trumpcare is an Attack on Trans People of Color. Let’s Fight Like Hell Against it via Autostraddle / Neesha
- Call your Senators right now and say NO to repealing ACA. 202-224-3121
- Find next steps for taking action against TrumpCare via Indivisible Guide
- Donate to TransLifeline, currently being flooded with calls from veterans today.
- Pay attention to and amplify ADAPT, a grassroots disability rights organization currently fighting to save Medicaid through direct actions. Follow #ADAPTandResist and #SaveMedicaid on Twitter.
- Organize or Attend an action in your town via Women's March: Our Lives Are On The Line on July 29th!