This position will hold a significant amount of responsibility for GetEQUAL's digital and communications work, including consultation on strategy, execution of strategy, and support with/for other organizations in our network. The position will report to GetEQUAL's Director, Angela Peoples, and will work in consultation with the rest of the full-time and part-time team.
Responsibilities for the position include:
- Create campaigns that reflect GetEQUAL values and mission, in partnership with Director.
- In partnership with co-director, build a “brand” and communications strategy that will achieve GetEQUAL’s vision.
- Update website regularly to reflect current campaigns, actions, and content coming from the network,
- Support Director in managing outreach to traditional media as needed,
- Design simple shareable digital content to support campaigns, including shareable graphics, photos and video content,
- Envision ways to use communications tool to shift the LGBTQ narrative from "equality" to "liberation",
- Provide digital and communications technical assistance to GetEQUAL partner organizations and campaigns.
Areas of experience needed to succeed in this position include:
- Analysis of how institutions like patriarchy, capitalism, transmisogyny, and white supremacy contribute to the oppression and subjugation of LGBTQ people
- Ability and willingness to work flexible hours and travel on a short notice
- Minimum two years experience in digital organizing
- Proven ability to work independently, meet deadlines, and manage your time
- Willingness to work in a fast-paced environment with occasionally unpredictable hours (esp in the case of rapid response)
- Ability to take initiative, work independently and handle multiple "priority" projects simultaneously to meet established deadlines
- Six months half-time
- Applicants are welcome to work on other contracts if working less than full-time; however, a successful applicant must be available at any given time since some online rapid response work will be necessary
- We all work virtually, so you're welcome to live and work wherever you'd like
Applications for this position will be accepted on an ongoing basis, but we hope to hire someone for the position ASAP -- so do not delay in applying if you're interested! In order to apply, send either a resume or an emailed summary of past experience to Angela Peoples at email@example.com, along with your short thoughts on these two questions:
1. What do you see as the difference between "equality" and "liberation"?
2. How could you envision using digital and/or communications tools to create a center of gravity around the call for LGBTQ liberation?